MOTHERHOOD | AN ENGAGED DAUGHTER'S TRIBUTE




[No parental delight surpasses that of children personally owning their identity and mission in God. Particularly with regard to marriage and family. Our eldest, Anne Marie, is to be wed to Colin Stroud on May 29th. Below was a simple Facebook tribute. She gave me permission to share.]  


FROM ANNE MARIE SCHLUETER

I crave simplicity and beauty and adventure - and it all started with my mama. Remember when our moms were our greatest heroes? The essence of feminity, and the only one we cared about pleasing? At least, that's what my childlike heart looked like.

My mom gave me the greatest gift of staying home with me and my five siblings - and I know there were huge sacrifices that had to be made along the way.

Now, as I prepare for marriage, I'm so at peace knowing God has given me so much talent, and that when I'm called into motherhood, my babies are my priority, not climbing a corporate ladder.

I just want to say, as a woman raised by an incredibly strong, talented woman - it's okay to want a family, and it's beautiful to step out of security's boat to prioritize what the world says doesn't make sense.

I know I could move somewhere else in the country and have a "better" job. I know I could be working on my 5-year career path plan. But that's just so not where my heart is... and I'm so at peace.

Because my priority? It's preparing for and building our new family.

Because my mom shows me again and again what it looks like to be successful, kick butt, and feminine, all by being at rest in who she is, and where she is.

The world may never know her name, but everyone in her world will know His. I say that with so much confidence - and if that isn't the most beautiful end goal, I don't know what is.

She threw me the most beautiful bridal shower this weekend, and it has me emotional and nostalgic, because when I think of anything great about me, it's literally only because she's helped open my heart to cultivate a receptivity to grace.

When I'm celebrated, it should be her that's celebrated. When people say I lead them to Jesus, it's really she that's led them to Jesus. Because she taught me His name, she taught me gentleness, she taught me the power of my voice, and she taught me of my own worthiness in Jesus. In imperfection, but with endless love.

So, anyway, here's to strong women and to motherhood.